Thursday 9 April 2009

Moxie!

I managed to find some time to get the pics up! And here's my junior's dog -- Moxie! Cute hor?
He's a stray dog and i estimate his age to be abotu 10/ 11 years old. Yeah, that's 70 in human years! Like I said, he's hospitalised since saturday and i went to visit him a couple of times when I could with my Junior. See the I.V. tube? that's coz he ain't eating and drinking as much as he should. He's a medium sized dog. =)Pics of the other animals at the vet.

The kitty below was up for adoption!! really adorable and I spent some time playing with him coz he was just so bored!
The patient above Moxie was this indignant blacka nd white cat with what we call and elizabeth collar....it's to make sure that the animal cannot lick or bite themselves. Haha...why it's called an elizabeth collar?...just think of those pics of Queen Elizabeth in medieval times...you know, those high collars like cones?...WAHHAHAA
He look so xian hor..hahah...he just sat in his blue box and looked at me square in the eyes! I guess I was the only entertainment for him. since I was standing right in front of his cage. He's on an I.V. tube too.

This doggie above was adjacent to Moxie. he got into a car accident...see the abrasions? His legs got bad cuts too...He looked alright...abit moody and looked surprised when i wormed in a finger through the cage to wiggle his ear.

I took this pic to teach Red and Whisky the dangers of running outta the house! humph!

So here's my junior and Mox!

Actually, I kinda have to say with a heavy heart that I've already said goodbye to Moxie and ready for him to go anytime. though i'd like to try to see him one more time before he goes of course.

I'll try to summarise his condition. Basically, he's losing blood due to tick fever and stones in his bladder, which cuts his insides making him pee and poop blood almost non-stop. Just a bad combination of two conditions that have consequential effects. Can't do anythign about the stones till he's better..ie. arrest the tick fever.

The tick fever ahs made his blood count low too...and he's not clotting blood making the loss higher. Thus Mox needs blood transfusions. He got his first one on Saturday night got better on sunday..but his blood count dropped again on monday.
On monday I talked to the vet, and understood that Mox's bone marrow was not producing blood for himself. i.e. the body wasn't fighting to replenish the blood, thus the transfusion was just 'leaking' outta him. They had given Mox a shot that is used in humans to induce the bone marrow to produce the blood lah...but it would take 4 days to kick in.

On tuesday, Mox urgently needed a blood donor. A dog can't give blood twice and a match had to be found (on the side, for education, dogs can't take too many blood transfusions as it will reach rejection stage eventually)..thank god, my junior's cousin's dog Hunter could give...and coz of moxie's size, only big dog's could give.

The same day, i told my junior to think about letting moxie go if he doens't make it after this round of blood transfusions. It's a hard thing to say...but i told her, that after the time period for hte bone marrow thg to kick in and his body still can't fight for itself...it's best to just bring him home and let him die at home...=) At least he goes...in a familiar place...not in that cold hospital away from fond memories.

Today, Thurs, i got a call from my junior again. Mox needed another transfusion. As sad a prediction, i had guessed it would happen. Coz the pattern was that he got better one day after the transfusion and the next he's in dire straits (coz the blood runs out) ...she told me in fact that yesterday he vommited blood...haiz...

It was really hard to say...I felt horrid as I had to tell someone to consider letting their dog go. I brought it up again. To let Mox go home and rest. And if the vet advises that he can go home but his final hours will be in extreme pain....I suggested she just put him to sleep to end his suffering, since his body has already given up on fighting, by giving the transfusions, it's as good as keeping him alive by a machine.

She said she would never put him to sleep. Hmm..i understand, all her other pets have thankfully died of old age at home after mild suffering...But i told her that Moxie's case was diff lor...and she may need to consider. I guess it's hard lah...if you've never done it before.

Most of my dogs died of old age at home after a day/ two of suffering (thier bodies just gave up)...except Iako, which was a tough thing to decide on...but the moment I heard the vets options...i knew it was not an option...there would be no peace for her or real joy ever again. It was a day I never thought I had to say goodbye to her...

In the end, over the phone she decided she wanted another transfusion for him. I had not much to say, and I could sense she knew I was a dead end in a way...yes, I can help her find big dogs...btu no one I really knew had a big dog that i kenw well enough to risk.

The conversation ended quietly...I just didn't know what to say anymore. But I did tell her, please think about it coz i didnt want her to reach this same cross road and be in panic for a donor again.

It's really her choice...

Though I've said goodbye to Mox, i'll still go see him tomorrow if I can. If he's going to revive in this transfusion, at least he sees another familiar face. =)

No comments: