Tuesday 15 July 2008

this post was just supposed to be about 3 litres of water...haha..

I’m probably responsible for wasting close to 3litres of water.

I work on my lappie with my back to my room door. So my sister came in and made a comment. Key words I noted from what she said at that point. Toilet bowl -Again - Water.

I was in the midst of thinking about something for work. And unless you said “Dog –dead OR house-fire”, the only response you are likely to get from me is a acknowledging mumble. So it was only after over an hour, when I stepped out of my room, that the running water I heard in the background of my mind made sense.

The toilet bowl couldn’t stop topping up new water and ran in the steady small stream. Thus the square cistern did its melodious sounds of water against porcelain and the mechanics within, choking to restore itself.

“Oh.” Was all I could say when it hit me. Hahaha...I felt apologetic that it had happened, yet amused that I was that absorbed in my thoughts.

Took me about a minute to tinker with it and announced. “It should be ok now...just give it sometime to top up completely and return to normal. If it doesn’t I’ll check it again. “No one seemed to care...just as well then. I rather that than a remark of “what took you so long”. =)

If you hadn’t guessed I’m the handyman..er..woman at home. My sis contributes too in areas she has expertise in. LOL! I have pliers, screwdrivers, wirestrippers and a circuit test pen in the stationery cup on my table. The fact that the tool box is in my room does say quite abit!..haha..

I never realised how unnatural it was until i was older. I guess not having a dad or brothers aroung the house does have that impact in your life. Especially since my home is big, old and falling apart!

Plugs, wires, hinges, sockets, fuses, screws, rollers, switches, assembly, shower head, pipes, changing the gas tank, and lotsa other troubleshooting...hahaha...hmm...suddenly i can’t think!...Ah..and toilet bowls...=)

I’m proud to say that my time with toilet bowls had come in handy for the office common toilet many times. Seems other users couldn’t care less. I don’t expect all females to know how to fix one, but at least report it!! Sigh...Anyway, i’m no expert also and when all else failed, I would ‘call it in’. =)

Hahaha...which reminds me how ‘kiam’ i am also...hahaha...I pretty much like to improvise and save money on proper equipment or call someone in to do it professionally.

Once we had a problem with the back door. It kept slamming loudly due to the strong winds. My mum was going to spend $40 buying some stainless steel latch for the door. Which required drilling it in and spoiling the wood. I said, “Mum, I’ve got an idea. It’s ugly but it will solve your problem. Are you willing to live with it?” She didn’t protest...it was the back door for goodness sake! Hahaha...anyway, I took a string, tied one end to the door knob, and on the other end, tied it to those ‘S’ hooks sold in supermarkets (3 for $1 type) and hooked it to the fence behind the door. When you want to close the door, just unhook! =P It has lasted us 4 years.

Just last year, my mum was going to call in the pros to do a fencing in my home, to keep my dog out of the mini garden (she dug deep holes, threatening to collapse the trees, and left muddy prints everywhere and rolled around the mud!). I said the same thing to my mum as above...but I needed more time, this was harder!

Hahaha...eventually, i tied several strong BBQ wire gauze together with those ‘twisty’ wires used to hold electrical wires, and shoved them between flower pots to make them stand...It worked! – my dog hated me...LOL!...you should’ve seen the look on her face when she saw me putting it up....it was aloof and disdain in one expression!! Hahaha....I love my dog...=)

I was quite embarrassed when i called the BBQ wholesale centre for the gauze. Haha..."Hello, BBQ wholesale centre? Sorry, I have a strange request...Can i just buy one item from you without food?"..." Yes i want your wire gauze"...."Er..how many ah..haha..please don't laugh when i tell you k...hahaha"....." I need 20." the person on the line didn't laugh. She probably thought i was having a major BBQ session!!...but i laughed at myself instead...LOL!

=) as i look back on this it explains quite abit about me,..... especially if you ever come to my office and see crumpled paper/cardboard shoved into the newer name card boxes of all my colleagues. =D You’ll understand when you see it...hahaha..=)

Okie...gotta go..can't believe i talked so much..heee....carried away...=)

No comments: