Friday 20 March 2009

Stupid Emu!!

OK, you all know me love animals...so was looking forward to today when I can go see penguins and Aussie animals..hee..

I've seen then several times when I go downunder, but what's visiting Aussie without meeting the local furry/ feathered friends? Besides, they're such a joy to meet..=)

I opted for the Go West tour for the penguin parade such that enroute to see the penguins, you'll get to do some other activities too. One reason why I picked them, is that I preferred smaller buses, as it's guaranteed the group will not be too big and impersonal. Of course, being in a smaller bus potentially meant more 'puke'...hahaha...but i had a go at it based on my experince in New Zealand lah...=)

The bus came to my hotel to do a pick up! Cools! It started from officially at 1.30pm.While waiting to pick up more of the group in the city, I caught two of Melbourne's icons in one pic...hehe...Trams and the Flinders Train Station. So it seems that Mel is the only place with trams as part of its transport network/ way of life in Aussie.
Truckload packed with sheep passed the bus on the highway! I wonder if they are being transported...or going to be lambchops...eeeps...haiz..and I like my lamb cutlets!!..the irony...
The driver/ tour guide, offered me the seat right in front beside her when I first boarded the bus...Whoopppeee!!! I took it in a heartbeat. Best seat with personal space, best views, least chance of dizziness, but of course, the moment I sat down, I realised, probably first to die should there be a need to jam break...Mahahaha...no seat belt lah...

But it was really the best seat, as i could get lotsa shots and panoramic views from my seat..hehehe...

Of course, it also meant I had to help out the guide lah, which I was happy to lah..=)
Our first stop was lunch, where we stopped at a stretch of road that lined up petrol stations, small grocers and take outs in the form of fish and chips/ burgers.

This group of seagulls were begging for food much to the disdain of the al fresco diners..haha...the man in black tried several times in vain to shoo them away.
My lunch was fish and chips. It's very pricey considering this is right next to a fishing spot, and the driver agreed with me ...but if it were back in the city, you'll probably be paying that or more.. $8. =)

I still remember my fish and chips in NZ...gawd, each one was the size of my face..two pieces and chips just cost me $4.90.
Next stop -- Wine tasting...mmmm...we all tried out a total of 6 bottles, I took a sip out of 5 of them and tossed the rest..haha..gotta take care of my foot lah...besides..it didn't taste good actually...the frenchies in my grp agreed...LOL...
Okies! Time to meet the animals! We went to a shelter called Maru, that took care of wild animals that lost their parents and saved (e.g. Kangaroo gets killed in a car accident, and the joey is still alive in the pouch.)

They were so cute -- here's a Wallaby (looks like a Kangaroo)..this one was a baby one, about 18months!
Koalas can't be touched in the state of Victoria (mandated coz of some disease that spread -- not coz of humans though)...these Koalas were brought here to 'spread the project' of repopulation. I remember playing with Koalas when i was younger. =)

This particular koala I took was so adorable..he was folding his legs in with his hands, making sure they were tucked in tight. Then he stuffed his hands between his legs to keep warm, then burrowed his chin into his arms...hahaha...shifting his butt and squirming on the tree branch till he was absolutely comfortable -- all this while closing his eyes...WAHAHAHA...
Kookabaras...
Ponies -- only managed to get one shot and it turned out well! There was sheep and dingoes too..but didn't take that lah..=)
They had lotsa geese...that honked and honked and honked -- asking for food lah..haha...I put some in my hand to feed them...they bite! haha...but it feels like a pinch lah..no harm..

I stooped down and honked back at this one...LOL..he stopped honking and glared at me...=P

Emus...This emu bullied me lor...there were 4 of them...but this one, took advantage of my kindness..Humph.

I stretched out my plastic bowl of fodder for the emu to eat lah, so others can take a photo close up..(madness to put food in the hand for this one as their beaks are the same size as your hands and could just get pecked off!!!)........Anyway, this emu pecked the bowl so hard, it was knocked to the ground and the food was scattered and they happily ate off the ground...raaarr...that was it! no more food for the kangaroos!

Stupid Emu...*waves fist*...
Still, I tried salvaging some and put back in my bowl...for the roos! Goodness so many of them, they even had an albino one! One fo them was really big. He was like...hmmm...up to my eye level...LOL...with his ears pointed up he would the same height lor!
This particular roo was really sweet and gentle...he was a small one...and would come up to you calmly, when you stretched out your hand with the food, he would clutch it with his tiny claws and pull it gently down to his level so that he can eat...

You see his paws wrapped around my hand?..hee...cute hor...

I petted the roos and twiddled thier ears...hahaha...
Peacock and Peahen upset that the attention had shifted to the roos sit and sulk...hahaha...

There were several of them roaming the grounds.
Tasmanian Devils! =)

Seems there's an epidemic in Tasmania that's giving the wild devils a face rash..so some ok ones are brought to Victoria for re-population toos...

They have very strong jaws capable of breaking bones so be careful!!.. they were created by God to eat through dead carcass bones *crunch crunch*...=)

So that was it in terms of animals..until of course, we reach the highlight of the penguins!...hee...

No comments: