Tuesday 14 October 2008

It's been a long day...

a really long day...not my worst...not even close to the bad ones...but still long and the events just linger...

It started with a several facts that left me quite manpower-less, and though it would normally be fine, had it not been for the screw ups on the coordinator/organiser front for tomorrow's event that takes place over 3 days. And although the Project Lead had briefed and delegated it to two others...we all know-- there are other @(*#&)@# things that just come along....sigh...

We begin with the fact i have about 10 staff..about there lah...round figure easier...1 is on 1/2 day leave (this one non-consequential)...then...

(1) Two of them are on full day course, which happens to be conducted in our office.
One of the two usually picks the phone calls to the office. She is NOT a receptionist, but was just taught to move fast in this area since last year. So...I had to remind some...to PICK calls a little faster...we have two lines.

The other girl, my intern is one of the 'runners' for the Project Lead. You can of course imagine the problems that arose due to the organiser screw up...and there is NO runner to follow thru quickly...so....sigh...

So sometimes, the phone just keeps going. So...I pick them...and TODAY of all the irritating days...I get the people who are confusing and demanding..it's as though i owe them something, when really all i'm doing is taking a message...and to be dead honest, do i really have to be that patient with them?!

(2) I have two key people serving the nation for two weeks. One is my boss, the other is the Project Lead (who knows the main stuff), whom i shall refer to as PL.

The effect is that because my boss is technically uncontactable to others...he just downloads stuff to his managers... Call this, do that, fwd this...and the nice occassional "How's everything mate?".

The PL will of course be calling back the office too...to give certain instructions that stemmed from the screw ups...and coz the runner is not available, i need to delegate to other staff.

It is of course extremely UNHELPFUL that one of my staff e-mailed my boss with pretty if-fy instructions on the event. Note that my PL and boss occassionally sit side by side when serving the nation...SIGH....SO...i got this panicked phone call from the PL asking what's happening after my boss flashed him the e-mail on his blackberry...

I had to alay his fears that the right message has been passed on...then go ask that staff what in the world was he/she thinking!?! - You send if-fy instructions it will look as though we're not handling it!!!! =S of course the boss WILL be concerned.

(3) i have then on hand two remaining (A & B) that can look into things...and three others (that I leave A& B to 'seek help' from) as these 3 are completely not involved in this event and so would not know the details ...that is fine.

A is the designated 'stand in' for the missing PL. After gathering all the barang together and eveyone else had left the office, THEN she come to me and ask if wanna load the things in my car...sigh...the manpower all gone liao lor...can plan abit next time?...haiz...i decided to do it on my own...so that i wouldn't commit murder in the trips up and down the lift...

Anyway, the organiser screw up was a registration issue and although i know B has tried her best to find the solution, at 430pm, I was baraged with phone calls from concerned Personal Assistants and confused managers who aware of the situation through B but NEED an answer ASAP. - understandable...the event was the next day and we still couldnt' confirm if thier bosses will have issues registering or not...

Basically, they rode on our relationship to bail them out (which i do at times too...)...but this one was just one too many...until B was a little surprised. LOL...

Can you imagine that the above are just SOME highlights...never a dull day in my org i tell u...and i barely touched my ACTUAL work....

But you know what....in the midst of it all, I read a short chapter off a book...and God simply reminded me that He was thinking of me...sigh...

I need grace beyond what i can imagine...and when things seem more and more impossible, my hand trembles as i hold on to His...

I should go...tomorrow's another day...bye...

No comments: