Saturday 9 August 2008

For my country...

Happy Birthday!

This is possibly the first national day i can remember in my life, that it didn't truly dawn upon me that it is coming, till the day before. Haha...it's as thought each time it's mentioned, i forget it by the next day!

I guess i've been too engrossed by other things. But my little island need not be too sad. I totally forgot that they Beijing olympics was just the day before too! And i'm more keen in watching sports than the NDP parade/ celebration.

It's not because i've grown up. I haven't watched a full NDP since i was 14. Same thing every year lah...=) i just like wathcing the front parts...hee..and yes..i will say out the pledge very loudly at home with the tv..=)

still i love the older songs written for NDP. They were more meaningful and weren't so commercial. These days you have a new song every year...what's up with that manz...and here we are complaining we have no tradition...here's a prime example!...out with the old, in with the new!

*mull*

My all time favourite will always be 'We are Singapore'...i thought it was the coolest coz it included the pledge in the tune. And the way it starts off so bleak truly reminds me of the hard life our forefathers had to go through...And as cheesy as it sounds when it comes to the part of 'This is my country, this is my flag, this is my future, this is my life, this is my family, these are my frens..." -- it brings to rememberance the life that you lead...all facets of it..=)

As desperate as my generation seems to want to get out of this country since our...I dunno..er..youth days. We want to travel and live overseas etc. Anything to get out of this cramped, stressful, expensive island...and we have...some of my friends have moved overseas and made a home for themselves there. Many of my friends have too travelled extensively in their lives...

Me?...hmm...i can't deny I still have the same feelings..LOL! but the grass always seems greener on the other side.

But i'm not here to put down my little island. I can complain and gripe all I want. But at the end of the day, here is where I work, breathe, foster relationships and spend most of my life. So why not enjoy the ride? =) and just cheeer my little island on.=) Hee...

No comments: