Saturday 26 September 2009

I just watched...

...the entire first Rocky movie on youtube. I'm glad someone loaded it up. It was just a sudden inspiration because I heard the theme song while watching some F1 training videos. =) And I recall the memories this movie brings....

And I know what a driver that song is for alot of people i know to this day. Hah...and i know even boss has it on his list of songs, whenever he needs a booster...=)

It's the tune of the song that makes you believe you can overcome the odds...and the few lyrics it has, doens't paint a pretty picture. It doesn't shield you from the reality of the pain, in fact reminds you of it. But there's this essence of belief that you're reaching there! =)

Rocky was definitely not a show during my time. In fact i wasn't even born yet! LOL...it was realeased in 1976...it was such a surprising hit. Because the story was so simple and quickly filmed with in 28 days....yet...to this day, it's a part of history.

I was introduced to the movie by ...yep...it was none other than my dad. Whom I know loved the show alot. Forcing my sisters to endure it in their young age...by the time they grew up, and he had succesffully "influenced" them,...he only had me left to work on. LOL...not that it was hard for me to be influenced anyway...hahaha

All i remembered from my impression of the first time I watched the show was that --- how can a person eat RAW EGG....6 of them somemore!!! EEEeeeeewwwWWWW!!! I still recall papa tryign to explain to me why exactly Rocky had to do that. But at the tender age of 9...you seriously CATCH NO BALL...hahaha

The second time I watched it, it was with papa too...he'd never miss a re-run of it on TV. =) This time, I'll never forget the scenes of Rocky struggling with his first morning run -- the pain on his face....and then after hard and long training he finally conquered those damned steps...it was so emotional, you'd just want to celebrate with him! =)

After that for a whole week, papa had to contain me as I went around and punched all the pillows/ bolsters and cushions in the house...and being so young, papa would let me spar with him...hehe....using his hand open wide as targets. Heh....even my poor dog then had to tolerate me dancing around him while punching the air like a near target...=)

In my late teens, I understood why it was such a loved movie. It celebrated the underdog. And the girl he got was no drop dead looker or some attractive personality. In fact, she was flawed and awkward.

I had finally understood why papa liked the show too...well, i'm guessing lah, because he never really told me. I think it's because it's the story about an ordinary person that in a real situation can do extraordinary things...it's not a fairy tale scenario...but with hardwork and humility.

Rocky was not an educated character. He was awkward too, and had his life shoved down his throat, he doesn't speak well and has very low self esteem. But I always remembered that he had a good heart, and that good heart was what made the difference. =)

I never remember the ending.

Seriously...LOL

watching it again this time round...i'm bringing back something new with me...

realistically, he knew he couldn't win the fight. But he wanted to last to the end moment, which had never been done before. And he could tell himself that he just wasn't some bum from the street.

The night before the fight, he was shrouded wtih fear and doubt. But he talked about going the distance. Perseverance.

It was not about the win on the outside...but the win on the inside that mattered.

And of course, as the show clearly presented it comes with a whole lot of PAIN! especially at the end, where to reach the end point, he ASKED for more pain to be inflicted, coz it was the only way he'd reach the end point...wahh....

I almost died...LOL...

ok ok...time to go sleep...super late...but i feel like the kid i once was again...celebrating with my hands in the air...simply coz rocky made it!! =)

No comments: