Friday 12 June 2009

Mobile Phone archive

I feel it's good to post this for memory's sake...and before I can't remember or find any trace of a picture online to put up. =)

My mum now in the midst of her room clean up, just passed me a receipt dated 19 june 1998.

It was for my first mobile phone! I was never gian-ed for one. If you've known me all these years, I'm pretty much not the kind to run for the first new and upcoming thing. So I was happy with my pager and felt that the phone was not necessary, especially with the price plans back then, it meant my parents would have to spend more monthly. And seriously, you dont' need one lah!! -- back then, almost none of my friends had a mobile -- so call who other than home right!?

Ironically, it's my mum who wanted to get the phone for me. I'll never forget, I was even disuading her not to get me one as we stood outside the shop. Hahaha...I was out to watch a movie at GV with my mum at the old marina square. Yeah, back then it was all the hype of a 10 cinema in one..haha...It was an offer at Bossini. There were long queues. All you had to do was to buy a tee or something, pay an extra $50 and you'd get a free phone with a basic singtel plan.

I guess June 1998 was the month just before I went into Uni, and it was a convenience more than anything, though I'd plan to sign up for a phone service to my hostel room already.

So here it is! -- The Philips Twist!

It's big, about the size of our scientific calculators we used in school. and about double the thickness.

It served me many years, though many have asked me why i wouldn't change my phone to the newer sleeker ones though my contract expired, practical me said -" it still works and serves me well." Ok, it can't sms and is a green digit like screen - but it's still working!"

I'll never forget when I was in the midst of my final year, i was in a single room by then in hall, and like always, burning the midnight oil over tutorials. I believe I was studying for exams lah. Anyway, the story goes that my calculator and philips twist was side by side, and guess what, i grabbed my mobile phone to use as a calculator!!!..hahaha...

I think the phone lasted me till end of 2002. The only reason why I had to let it go was because my two batteries (got a spare one from a fren who got a new one) were dying due to the common Nihum battery problem of batt life with repeated charges.


Adamant that i would not get a Nokia -- goodness, EVERYONE was using a nokia then lor...boring..

I opted for a Samsung - N620. I possibly spent 200 odd on it. It had way better functions and had polytronic ring tones, coloured screen and a flashing LED light, PLUS the antenna was very small. (ok ok, this is a generational gap thing so some of you jsut do not know what a big WOW it was back then..last time a ring tone was really...RING RING lor!!!)

My friends were actually jealous of my samsung, coz the screen was alot better in resolution, my number pad had a blue colour (the std nokia one was white) and had a multi flashing LED that rang to the beat of the ring tone! I had a unique choice of ring tones. Nokia had 5 ring tones to choose from -- and if EVERYONE carried a nokia, guess what happnes when the phone rings?? hahaha

This one gave me problems with the number pad and it was getting harder to sms, which forced me to have to change phone lor..i think I changed in March 2005

Yeah, my phones usually lasted more than the 2 year "plan" period then, so I could've changed service provider then. But i was loyal to singtel coz it gave me good subscription loyalty rebates lor.

March 2005 was when bought the one above -- Samsung E700, But i got the all silver one (limited sets)..hahaha...it's me lah, always going for the cooler things. I coughed up $400 for it inclusive of a re-sign up! yeah...savings went poof but thank god i just found a job!

It was the latest samsung phone lor..that's y the price (but it hasn't changed much hor, for thier premium phones) . This was considered one of the premiums in it's time. It was the first flip phone with NO antenna, two scrrens, and dual function camera. AND, the multishot function. heh...cools!
Next up, my Samsung z720 in May 2007 (last one had a screen death again!!! and according to the people at the shop, it's never worth paying to change LED screen...sigh..)- by then I'm a loyal smasung user liao and wouldn't mind paying the bit for the coolest model -- ie. the SLIMMEST SLIDER phone! The Ultra Slim range! Hee...

I bought the silver version -- the less common one again! had a hard time finding! hahahaha

this was the season everyone carried black/ dark phones so..the rebel in me came out again..hahaha

I'll never forget that my silver one died a strange death WHEN I was only a year into my contract which left me having to buy a phone with no contract.

You see, it was a week or two before the BIG singapore airshow when i had like a trillion activites plus the career show in march. 3rd day of chinese new year, and after helping my mum cook lunch for relatives and toil at the sink for 5 hours, I came up to my room for a breather, only to find that my screen had cracked. No idea how it happened.SIGH...

So yeah, Had to buy a new phone and coz i didnt like any other phone then, I went back to get my z720, but in Chrome Silver, which I think to date is still a cool combi for a phone! heee...just like ge's E71 lah....which was the first colour they released. =)

Though I got it for $280 off a seller on ebay, it was in good condition and only bought for about 3 months.

Irritatingly, the screen suddenly in Feb this year 2009. Sheesh...and the warrantly expired the month before! GAK!!!
______________

So ends my story....and yeah,...I own a NokiaP now...hahaha...the story is a post on my blog you can go click back and read...heee...

And you know what...even though so many people use the phone..haha..mine still unique, coz i swapped the back panels!! which no one else has!! =P

Hahaha...my friend couldn't identitfy my phone lor...wondering how come it's a E71 but not of any colour he know of..WHAHAHAHA...

*smug look*

I'm pathetic huh...LOL!!

No comments: