Wednesday 18 February 2009

My day...

Today is just one of those harrowing days you'd like to note down. Although I knew I was to have this early afternoon meeting since last Thurs, it's a meeting that you can only prepare so much for.

This morning the office was slightly quieter with boss and half of them out for the Career press conference. I was in my room, basically just ain't feeling good...with news abotu a GIRO form to be filled up. I know..it's just a GIRO form...but it jsut feels as though it doesn't end sometimes...haiz...

Anyway, I was also thinking about how to get more companies to come for the aussie airshow which is less than 4 weeks away. =(

To qualify to cover bulk of costs, there are rules of minimum number of companies (6) taking part.

I barely have half the number of the minimum (3) ...with 2 more taking up a really small space and the possibility is slimmer than slim...

In as much as I'm trying to get companies in, I must take care of the current ones that have confirmed. They need the exhibitor passes soon and can only get it when I make payment for the whole area..which will burn a hole in my org's pocket. But i have no choice but to make payment soon...very soon...

With less companies on board, means i can't cover costs...

If I can't even cover the basic cost of exhibition area, how can i even possibly think about accommodations and airfares!??!...thus i'm so hesitant to make the bookings, which worries me at the same time too...coz delaying aint' good. (maybe harder to get)

Another problem with so few companies,...the exhibition will not look good. Too bare...and the current companies will not be happy too...

Yes, to get more companies to come in, I can offer it to them for free/ discounted rates...BUT THEN...who's gg to cover the cost?! it doesn't solve the financial headache.

With constant repackaging of discoutned rates every few hours (to cater to the company) the cost and revenue exel sheet i'm working with is so confusing...at times, I told my boss, It can be done, but if you ask me now if we'll make a loss, i can't guarantee over the phone just like that coz there are so many 'side effects' to a single change.

Sigh.... anyway, back to the early afternoon meeting. It was with one of the confirmed companies for the aussie airshow. They wanted to pull out. Met the MD, who was firm about his decision in the meeting, and i did what i had to do...haiz...at some point i was nervous and felt my voice tremble. Think about it, it's on thier turf and you're face to face with the MD nitpicking and clarifying...ie. basically have to tell him that he's got it wrong in a good way and hope he sees it...

Never been for a meeting like that...it's not about the rejection. It's about the fact you know the effects of it in so many areas as stated above...worse...they refuse to make payment even though they signed a contract of sorts and told me, if my mgt/ bosses have a problem with this, he'll be alrite to entertain a phone call from them.

The MD tossed me the invoice and said. I received this, I'm not paying for it, I will not be exhibiting, we'll be there, as a visitor and come by and see how you guys do it, and maybe we can consider the next time. Humph...i understand WHY he doesn't want to take part (i agree it makes sense)...but in the first place..they didn't clarify what level of service is provided..so why penalise us?

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking, with companies like you pulling out, how am I even going to get it running...=S

I've faced similar situations as above of not being able to get companies in for a show etc. But it's never so much of a combination of all the negatives above...

sigh..doesn't help that the contractor for the stand works in (what my boss calls) the "Aussie way of doing things"...i.e. take forever to respond. Even my exhibitors have problems working with other Aussie companies...Can you imagine a multinational courier company in Aussie does not pick up the phone?!?

Sorry...this is just a snaphot of what I thought alot about today. This is probably the rare/ first time i've put down in such details what's in my mind for work.

After that, I swung by one of my auditors place to pick up a doc that ge and I have been working hard to get the past 2months (at least). Handled the auditor, who seems to find a bond with me...and tried to emphasize on the bond further...sigh..I was just too numbed by the previous event, that I just made sure I made my way through, got the docs, without allowing myself to be too nice.

It was four-ish when I got back to the office...peeked at some e-mails.

After that me dragged ge to go buy my hp!..hee...new things mah..fun to share the joy of buying something neat. hee...took awhile, (thanks ge for waiting!)..but they gave the good service as per norm. =)

(Anna! I saw the brown poodle you told me about...name is Milo..sho cute..he can smell my dog on me..hee)

Then I had the pleasure of eating da best chee cheong fun I've had in a very very very long time...come to think it, I dont' even remember one that can even compare to this...*slurp*...only unfortunate was the chwee kway, that smelled deceivingly good. The bedok hawker one is still da best for that...hee...

Oh, parking at arcade was frightening. I have never seen such severe wall CHIPPINGs off the walls of this carpark in every corner DECORATED with MULTICOLOURS (ie. all sorts of car paint)...*shudder*...it's super narrow...when u pass a pillar / turn, i actually winced. And I thought the old carparks at orchard was bad...this was was unforgettable.

Even to reverse park (where my lot was) your car has no choice but to mount the small walkway of the lift lobby! Woe to all the big cars there man...

Thank god i'm a bit more seasoned with my Blooie, else I'd likely have been more gutless..hahaha...

Okies bed time...=)

No comments: