Sunday 15 February 2009

4 + 1 books...

It was almost like a scene out of those vampire castles..if it weren't for the modern flourescent lights and the knowledge that it was day light outside, it would've been even spookier. Hahaha...hardly anyone was there...Sacré-Cœur = Sacred Heart. The crypt is suppsoed to contain a relic that some believe to be Christ's Sacred Heart ...hmm...didn't see that leh... probably coz everything was in french.

Historical artefacts lined a corner of the crypt.

A grisly thought swept though my mind, when I wondered how many injured/ dead/ dying people sought refuge in this underground enclove during times like World War II....=S

I know..I sacre myself..Mahaha...this place has the strangest statues...the scariest to me was the one below...near the exit..

It is really very life-like!!! I actually 'glared' at it so that I won't be afraid..hahaha..you know face up to your fears...the features on the face was so real, I wouldn't be surprised if the eyes just suddenly opened and looked back at me.

So strange to have a statue of someone holding their head lor!!!
Now I've found out, he's Saint Dennis. He was a martyr having been beheaded by the sword on the highest hill in Paris (now Montmartre).

He was the bishop of Pariisi and (allow me to be blunt) in essence pissed off the pagan priests by having too many conversions. So they took him to the top of the hill and did the deed.

According to legend, after his head was chopped off, Denis picked it up and walked two miles, preaching a sermon the entire way. The site where he stopped preaching and actually died was made into a small shrine that developed into the Saint Denis Basilica, which became the burial place for the kings of France.

So they have since then illustrated him, holding his head...yikes..
Dunno who trying to act cute...=P

....Probably thankful she still has her head....
Ge points out to you where we actually were earlier, at the top of Sacré-Cœur....OOOoooooo

After that, we spent the rest of the afternoon just strolling the streets and poking our heads at display windows. =) Me bought a new passport cover for myself! Still a patriotic red with a rebel streak..coz got a pirate on it! hehe...

We popped into a simple eatery that just served kebabs and we had coke..*slurp* to go with it. it was tea time, but effectively, our lunch! =)

At the last few shops we bought quite a bit of stuff, especially me...hehehe...my Paris jacket, tees for my sisters/ nephew and carabina chain souvenirs. Last shop was for boots! Ge got one pair toos...or was it two...hmmmmm....=P

Anvers was the metro stop! And we were going to head to find my cgl's gucci bag...hmmm..where did we go again ah?..no no...not Champs Élysées I think it's rue Royale that we needed to go to, which was pretty near our first night makan venue.

Whatever it was, we were new to the underground pathways in the metro...and we finally found an exit as near as possible to rue Royale, that 'spat' us out to a beautiful sight!

Look familiar??? Yep! we were here before -- Place de la Concorde!! This is a really nice photo..=)
Shopping haul from Paris! Yeah...the affordable end of the shopping scale..I was just telling ge as we were headed to the pricier branded shopping part of town how we'd look carrying our pasar malam type of shopping goods..hahaha...

Anyway, cut the long story short, i had to go to Galeries Lafayette to get the bag, coz they didnt have stock at the main outlet!!...It was within walking distance but we had to move fast..coz they would be closed in about an hour?

The trek finding our way there was proabably the fastest pace of walking we'd done in our time in paris..hahaha...no time to browse the shops.

And yes, Galeries Lafayette was hard to miss...this is just one of the two buildings ...and they were beeeg...so...err...where would the gucci be huh?...

To be dead honest, it was a horrible place to be inside and we couldn't wait to get out. It was packed and warm with horrid ventilation. The lights were blindingly bright and ...did I say warm?

Cutting through the maze of cosmetics...i decided to look up...WAH!!!!...I quickly poked ge to see...(who was efficiently occupied finding where in the world was that gucci. It's like finding your way around takashimaya for the first time with NO MAP/ DIRECTORY lor..horleeble...)..

So nice!...heee...the pics came out nicely!

We found the place, which was horribly understaffed, given the customer type they had that day..i.e. not like us, ask, check and go. And we had to wait abit...thank god for patience and tolerance...hahaha..it was getting warmer, and we had our bags to take care of lor...

Anyway, I got my cgl's bag and picked one for my mum. Haiz...then still need to queue for the duty free stamp...and figure out the forms. Staff weren't that helpful lah...gimme a break man..it's my first time. They gave me this increduled look when i asked them to explain the process to me...grrr...

Good thing ge wasn't there, I'd probably allow her to bite off their heads! hahahaha...she was book browsing...I was so happy she went to buy another book to read for her trip home...I know it just brightened her up... Ya...this girl is a bookworm, she inhaled the 4 books she brought for the trip liao and wondered if she could survive the trip back without one. HAHAHA...

She had been hesitant the past few days to spend the $$ on the book...understandable lah...hehehe...but thank god she did orh...else...who knows..she'd chew me alive on the plane or something...=P hehehehe...

No comments: