Saturday 6 December 2008

The very very addictive yet chewy...

Finally, the need to sit down/eat called out louder than the desire to be enthralled by the Paris sights. (Note: breakfast was only some gummi bears and Jamaican Rum Ritter Sport chocs-- which is so good, I wish I'd bought more!)

We just picked one of the cafes right next to Notre Dame cathedral, and that's when I noticed their love for nutella on crepes...*slurps*..and the bottle was so big leh...

Anyway, we settled for your everyday chicken sandwich, (looks like something from delifrance hor...) and ...
Banana and caramel crepes. This cafe had the crepe making station just outside their front door, so they serve the indoor customers as well as anyone that wants a grab-and-go along the street which I think is pretty smart...

Was it good? -- er...can't recall, when you're hungry -- everything tastes fantastic!

I remembered most about this cafe is the couple beside us were seated on a single small table (it's really the size of ...er..just picture one of those starbucks kopi tables), right next to the main walking aisle where the waitress bustled to and fro...

The couple had bags, maps and travel books and when their orders came...I was wondering how they were going to fit it all on that small table!! They ordered wine and water - each person will have two glasses for each beverage + the two bottles! Next came the food...and they arrived in two large plates, that were accompanied by a small basket of sliced baugettes and mini plates to go with it all!!!!!

How to eat like that?!!...I'd opt to eat with my face on the plate with no hands...ahahaha...well, the disaster did happen and I think while the waitress was serving, two of the glasses go knocked over! =S
Now the thing about these baugettes in France are that they look like the ones we see in SG but aren't as fluffy and extremely addictively chewy! -- guaranteed to give you a good jaw exercise! =)

We decided that if I was going to tackle the rest of the sandwich like an old cow chewing cud, we'd do it walking round the back of Notre Dame. And there...I discovered, they named a park after me! hehehehe...
A very simple park, where we encoutered obese pigeons again...hee...

Here's the back of Notre Dame. it looks really different from the front and is also famous for it's "Flying Buttresses" -- no there's nothing crude in that lah!! they really call it that! You see those structures sticking out at an angle on the right side? (like fountains)..yep those are the 'buttresses' =P

Once again it's another architectural first. To me it was quite ugly but it was essential as it distributed the load of the roof to the ground, or else all the big big holes in the walls for the stained glass windows would not be possible, as the sheer weight of the stone roof would strain the walls and shatter the glass.
It was time to head back to rest! On the way, I believe God led us to explore the smaller roads between the St Michel station and our hotel - which was great, coz there was a multitude of various eateries/ takeaways, supermarkets and a souvenir shop (that ge and I later discovered is almost always open!)

We bought water, coke and schwepps lemon lime. =) and the cashier practiced his chinese by saying 'xie xie' after we paid...=)

Now the interesting thing about this hotel is the lift...it is really the smallest lift i have seen...hahaha...It is narrow, but well lit and carpetted! It load sign reads "3 persons"...but really....i felt like scrawling "petite" so that it would read "3 petite persons'!!!!!

Anyway, coz of the luggage that is effectively one person...only ge could fit in...LOL...I closed the door behind her) it was like putting a turkey in the oven...=P HAHAHA...then...Nothing happened!

Hmmm.....how ah....and we started pushing buttons...hahaha...little did we know there was an interior door that closed and ge had to 'jump' on the luggage, and the lift started up immediately.

I climbed four levels up non-stop...I was keeping pace with the lift which was next to the stairwell. -- dont' ask me why I tortured myself like that...but i guess coz I was worried ge may get stuck in there for eternity or something -- so gotta be there mah...MUAHAHHA....coz it's such a small contraption..=S

I felt my eyes rolling at the back of my head when i rounded the stairs up to level 3 ONLY!!!...LOL...finally on the 4th I was catching my breath so hard, i think ge got abit worried for me...hehehe...I was fine. Just needed to breathe!

It didn't help that ge made me laugh, describing to me how she jumped on the luggage and the claustrophobic thoughts that ran through her head in the lift...hahaha...I had to lean against the wall to catch my breath and laugh at the same time can....tears were streaming...LOL!

After the lost sleep with the early morning train and day's strenuous activity, we both zonked big time for a nap till about 7-ish...and we headed out again for a walk back along the river Seine... Paris lights up their monuments and bridges really beautifully and if you look in any direction, it's a pretty sight... (above) is the Lover's bridge...which i didn't know there was such a bridge called that till ge told me...

We took more pics on the way to and around the Louvre but I can't possibly put it all here lah...=P
The square of the Lourve is open to the public at night...and many people were just walking and taking pictures. There was a busker playing a saxaphone tunes that just made the atmosphere so relaxed!...and he was really good...ge gave him a token...hee...



I.M. Pei's glass pyramids made more famous by the 'Da vinci code' by Dan Brown....

Don't ya think ge's pictures look really nice???! *big smile*

In addtion, you gotta take it with a real steady hand coz the flash is useless..and those of you with digital cameras know what i mean when u have to turn off the flash!

Dinner Time! And the two of us found ourselves in one of the most expensive areas in Paris!! The first arrodisement...Which at first sight..didn't look like there was much food...hmm...but we got side-tracked to buy pricey chocolates from a shop for family back home..=)
The paper bags were nice hor...=) the black bag is ge's reliable day travel bag..=)
God was good again, since we're in the most exp area, we stumbled upon a decent priced place...and were led our hungry way into an eatery that is Illy's...think we have one in Singapore..

Ok..I can't remember exactly what beef dish that is on the foreground...(latest update: ge says it's Beef Bourgignion --- I'm still shocked how she remembers such things!!?!?!...*faints*)...but the one behind is lagsane...but everything was dee-lish! we emptied our plates...and talked till they almost closed..hee...=D
The guy running the place was so nice...he could see we were tourists...and wore an extremely hungry look on our faces..hahaha...on top of that...our poor 'student' looks (and the fact we didnt' buy drinks)...probably led him to to take pity on us and give us a pitcher of plain water with ice! =D That was so nice...I just had to remember it...=)

This is really rare...coz you have to buy everything there...water included one lor...=)
We took the metro at Tuileries back to St Michel. They do take the effort to deco the stations according to the theme of the area...if you are the Louvre stop...you see these relic replicas displayed in cases with captions and information -- as though you were in the museum itself!

No comments: