Monday 27 November 2006

Before 19th October, Singapore -- Pre-departure days (Part 1)

This trip has been planned for almost a year. I've spent some weeks borrowing travel books to plan my route and of course, surfing the Internet for more updated information. And lots of time on my itinerary.

My initial plan was to travel early May when there were two public holidays a week apart. (Just like in the late November period). But i decided to give myself more time to:-
1) save more money
2) not rush it and do more research
3) see if any friends wanted to go

As time drew near, i reached a conclusion that I'd be travelling alone. I was fine with it. No harm in a solo trip for me. Also, for a first timer, NZ would be a good choice given the main language is English. However, i guess thoughts of it being 'nice to share the experience with friends' and 'It's hard to take solo shots', crossed my mind. =)

And the end of it all, i was resolute. I'm going!!! Some things can't wait! LOL!

Anyway, I booked up my hostel accommodation for the first 10 days and decided to leave the last 5 for free and easy. I was afraid i couldn't' get the accommodation as most of my choices were single rooms and very limited in each hostel. Also, i wanted to cover as much ground as i could. So i was in a different town everyday (except Queenstown). --- which you will hear me whine a little about later regarding the 'different-town- everyday' idea. heehee...

Hmmm...to be honest, the days coming to the date. I was too occupied planning and packing to even feel excited. hahaha...in addition, the week before i fell very ill and had a gout attack that really frustrated me, as i had so much to wrap up/ hand over at work before i leave. The irony is that the stress from work ( myboss was on NS...more to do!) triggered the gout! LOL! And even though i was home, my gout didn't allow me to pack either. Thank God though that i recovered in time and all went well. Yup i recovered 3 days before the trip!

No comments: